Devin C. Hughes is an award winning speaker, author & former college basketball player who speaks to a variety of groups, organizations, and teams who have a desire to break down barriers and make communication easier through greater self awareness and understanding of each other.
Devin's moment of change came the day he graduated from Colgate University. On that summer afternoon in 1991, he sat frozen with regret: he knew without a doubt that he had squandered his greatest opportunity—an education.
The son of a black father and white mother, Devin grew up in a mixed—and mixed up—world. His home life was chaotic, riddled with his parents’ drug use and unconventional ways of educating; dyslexia made academic learning a seemingly insurmountable challenge; and his identity was beyond confusing—was he black because he felt black or white because he looked white? Devin knew one thing: he needed to escape his environment and get into college, beyond which he believed the world would open up to him.
Basketball was Devin’s ticket to a brighter future, and he attended Colgate on a full athletic scholarship. Despite his determination to get to college, however, he scraped through the next four years by doing the bare minimum. Realizing how many doors he had closed for himself was crushing. The day he graduated, he knew he had to change.
Devin spent the next twenty years building a successful career in corporate America before transitioning to a more fulfilling vocation: motivating people to reach their full potential. An avid storyteller with a unique talent for connecting with audiences, Devin is at the forefront of leading culture change, developing simplified tools for change, and aligning personal, professional, and organizational strategies for maximum results. After years of feeling isolated because of his mixed race and dyslexia, Devin now helps others thrive in a fragmented world.
Devin speaks at schools, universities, corporations, associations, and organizations in a wide variety of disciplines to help others access their potential for change. He is the author of Contrast: A Biracial Man’s Journey to Desegregate His Past (2012). He is also the author of the comic-Self Talk (2012). It is for children who feel alone, isolated or are being bullied at home or in school.
Devin lives in San Diego, CA with his wife and four daughters. A great life is measured by ones progress not perfection!
- Devin will be speaking at Chadron State College in Chadron, NE
- Devin will be a panelist to discuss Bullying in US Schools at San Diego Museum of Man
- Devin will be speaking at Riverside Community College to celebrate Black History month
- Devin will be speaking at Network Appliance
- Devin will be the Keynote Speaker at the Bakersfield Board of Realtor Meeting Jan. 30th, 2013
- Devin will be speaking at FEDEX on Jan. 23rd, 2013
- Devin was the Keynote Speaker at UC Berkeley Mixed Student Union Event ""Mapping out Mixed Identity" Nov. 17th
- Devin facilitated "Deliver a TED-worthy presentation on Nov. 15th (San Diego, CA)
- Devin was Keynote Speaker at IRS Territory 2 Planning Meeting on September 20th
From the Muse
- The Power of Compliments | The Science of Love
- The Science of Happiness – Forgive and Forget
- If Shoes Could Speak
- What is Your Biggest Mistake?
- Louis C.K. Admits Some Things About Being A Father That Most Men Would Never Say Publicly
- The Science of Happiness – A Study of Cute Aggression
- The Antiquation of Black History Month
- Superhero – The FlipSide
- That’s What She Said
- The Different Kinds of Love – The FlipSide